Thursday, May 17, 2007

Much needed family time

I went down to North Carolina last weekend, and it was a very welcome rest. I guess with everything going on lately, and all the thinking and decision-making I've been doing, I needed to recharge. Nothing better than 3 days with my family to fix a saddened/stressed heart.

I flew down early Friday morning. But they had overbooked my flight, so they needed volunteers to switch to another flight. So I did. And I got $150 flight voucher. Nice.

My baby sister's first communion was on Saturday. She was really excited about it. She'd been preparing for a few months, and she knew it was a big deal. I helped her get ready in the morning. It was weird, since I was dressing her all in white, with a veil, and helping her put everything on, I felt like I was getting her ready for her wedding. Lol. Not yet, she's only 8. But she looked absolutely adorable.
Here she is with Daddy:


And in the car on the way to church:


The ceremony itself was nice. There were tons of kids, so it took a while. But the whole family, minus my older sister (she's in France), was there, so that was cool.
My little angel poking her head out of the crowd:


Standing with her banner that she made:


With Mom and Dad at the altar:


When we got home from church, we toasted with Champagne. Caroline chugged hers.



Then we had a nice lunch, and a pre-dessert of mini-eclairs and mini-choux.


Caroline opening her presents:


Then friends of the family came over for the cake. Dad, by request of Caroline, had made a white chocolate mousse and strawberry cake, and I had decorated it. If I do say so myself, it looked pretty gorgeous, and it tasted awesome too.


Saturday night, middle brother Louis had his junior prom. I helped him get ready, in his fancy tux and blue tie and vest to match his date's dress. Then we went to his friend's house, where about 50 high school kids were meeting to take pictures. Who knew my brother was part of the popular crowd? Haha. They were all super gorgeous, but it was weird being surrounded by 16-yr olds who thought nothing was more important than the limo they were about to get into. I took tons of pictures of Louis and his date Jordan, of him with his friends, of the huge crowd of kids. And then my computer deleted them from my camera when I got home. I was super upset, cuz they were really good pictures. Oh well. You're forgiven, Madeline. The only pics I'm left with are the ones I took at home before he left.


After swinging by the mall to buy stuff to protect Madeline, and a present for my mom for Mothers' Day, I went to Durham for a Trifecta + 1 + Cate + Shelly and Christian reunion. Many wonderful memories of playing cards late into Thursday nights in college. It'd been a year since we'd all seen each other, so it was fun to see them all again. I'm surprised we still haven't made the shirts.

Sunday, we had a fancy breakfast for Mothers' Day, with yummy pastries from Whole Foods, and gave Mom her gifts. She got a brand new huge tea pot imported from Britain from Dad; lots of pretty artwork and poems from Caroline; and I got her a new wallet, since her old one was falling apart. Caroline set up a "fancy" lunch buffet and waited on us, which was super cute.

I've instilled a love for Pumas (the shoes) in my siblings. Both Benoit and Caroline have a pair now. We went for a walk on Sunday night, and we were all wearing our Pumas. Caroline dubbed us the "Puma family." It was pretty funny.

I left early Monday morning to ride in the cab with my dad to the airport. I missed the early flight to BOS by a few minutes. But that was OK, because it turns out they had overbooked my flight again, so I waited in the airport for 5 hours and got paid $200 in flight voucher for it. Didn't make it to work until 2pm, and still left at 5. Nice.

No comments: